Sandwiches can sometimes become very boring, especially if the same thing is put on the bread day after day. We seem to think that there are only certain ingredients that can be used in a sandwich, but if you watch certain programs on TV a whole new world of sandwiches has opened up. Here are a few of my ideas and suggestions.
- Always try and use a good roll i.e. chipatta, Portuguese Rolls, Hamburger Buns, Sough Dough crostini, or good crusty bread. A French Baget is also very popular.
- When using slices of bread always use dry lettuce as a base and topping this will keep the bread from getting too soggy.
- Make use of all types of herbs i.e. basil, rocket, parsley, coriander etc.
- Don’t limit yourself to the type of raw, pickled and cooked vegetables you can use on a sandwich. Be generous with lettuce, cucumbers, avocado, potatoes, carrots, beetroot, mushrooms and tomatoes.
- When using cucumber – leave the out skin on – cut the cucumber in half-length wise – with the tip of the teaspoon remove all the seeds. Leaves you with a half-moon shape. Slice thinly place in a colander and allow to stand covered overnight. Cucumber contains a lot of water; some of this will drain out. If in a hurry allow to darn for at least 1 hour. Makes a lovely sandwich with cucumber on one side and cottage cheese seasoned with salt, pepper and freshly chopped dill.
- The range of cold meats we now have is endless. To get the best flavor out of your cold meats try pairing them with a Mustard Mayonnaise – Garlic Mayonnaise – Sweet Chili Mayonnaise. Sliced tomato, sliced onion and fresh lettuce leaves. It makes a lovely change.
- You cannot forget the best sandwich of all Toasted Chicken Mayonnaise. Now some placed can make a mean Chicken Mayonnaise and some are such a letdown. Here are some ideas you may find useful. Chop the cooked chicken finely and place in a mixing bowl. Now take some fennel, chop finely and put about 2 tablespoons in with the chicken. Take 3 stalks of chives and chop finely, add to the chicken. Now add 3 good tablespoons of mayonnaise, a dash of salt and pepper, 1 tablespoon plain yoghurt to a mixing bowl and mix well. Check your seasoning and adjust if desired. Now pour over the chicken and mix well together. Please remember one thing if using raw onion in any sandwich please make sure you keep it cool as it is the onion and not the mayonnaise that causes the sandwiches to go off.
- Before Turkey was only bought at Christmas time and only available at that time of the year, but now I see most good supermarkets and butchers are selling turkey in portions. Lovely sandwiches just don’t cook the turkey to dry. Marinate overnight and baste during the cooking process.
- Duck is also available now. Chicken livers go very well in a sandwich, as well as giblets
- The list of ingredients you can put on a sandwich is now endless. Cheese, fish of all sorts, bones removed. Favorite is Tuna, eggs, humus, olive tapenade. Pickled vegetables and cheese with Lettuce makes a divine sandwich.
- The range of sauces now available is mind blowing. These can be served on the side on sprinkled lightly on the sandwich itself.
Hope some of these suggestions will help you experiment more when making sandwiches and try new things.